Cities & Municipalities
The City of Pontotoc is located in the Northeastern corner of the state of Mississippi, 13 miles to our East is Tupelo, 30 miles to our West is Oxford, North you have New Albany 15 miles, and to our south Houston. We are truly a regional area will sloping green hills and strong sturdy trees. Stately houses and cottages around the square with history dating back to the 1836 establishment of Pontotoc are a treasure to behold. A sense of down- home pride personifies the town, county, and people. The city of Pontotoc is home to about 5,400 people with the county covering around 29,000. Pontotoc is a well kept secret. The school systems in Pontotoc County are great. All three are level five in the State of Mississippi.
However modern highways intersect in the city limits with the blooming business and industrial communities to rival any town of its size. Experience a small town atmosphere with a big city vision. Welcome to a thriving friendly place. There is always something going on.
Stephen Daggett, Robert Gordon's brother-in-law, built a large two-story dwelling five miles south of Pontotoc, near the newly opened Pontotoc-Houston Road and he operated a large store in the village for several years.
It is believed that Colonel James Drake also built a house in this vicinity and called his home "Algoma," an Indian word meaning "God Abides." he is responsible for the old community being called Algoma.
Old Algoma became a large community having Monroe church, several stores and a post office.
In 1904, the style of living and the economic basis of Algoma were drastically altered. The Gulf and Chicago Railroad extended a line south from Pontotoc to about one mile west of Old Algoma.
With the coming of the railroad, new economic opportunities presented themselves. A virtual land boom started. The whole village moved west. All merchants, the post office, the school, the churches and most of the residents moved to New Algoma.
Within a few years, Algoma had 33 stores, more than the town of Pontotoc. This phenomenal growth was attributed to the quantity of timber available and the H.W. Owen Tie Company. Algoma called itself the Cross-tie Capital of the World.
Algoma officially became a town on August 16, 1964.
The lone sound of a steam-run train whistle marked the beginning of the little village of Ecru.
The year was 1886, and it marked the biggest day there had ever been.
G.M.O. Railroad laid the first narrow gauge track down the center of town on the Sid (S.F.) Holditch levee. A depot was built in the young railroad town and Mark Armour was the first depot agent.
One unusual aspect of downtown Ecru is the water pump on Main Street. It began as an artesian overflow when there was only one building on the muddy Main Street in 1902. In 1911, there was 40 wells in town. When the town laid concrete walks, this pump was left as a landmark.
Disaster struck Ecru on December 8, 1970, when a pre-dawn fire destroyed six businesses. Since that day, the buildings have been rebuilt and Main Street is now thriving once more.
Located in Pontotoc, Union, and Lee counties, the Town of Sherman stands ready for the future growth of the Tri-County area.
Less than three miles from the PUL Alliance manufacturing site, Sherman holds the crossroads between Toyota, Tupelo, Pontotoc and New Albany.
With a population of 620, Sherman offers a great deal more than its size implies. Twenty-four-hour police protection, municipal volunteer fire protection with part-time chief and EMR services and nine community tornado shelters all provide unmatched public safety for the residents and surrounding area. The town provides the framework for development with a comprehensive development plan, zoning code and building inspection services.
The business community includes medical and physical therapy clinics, a pharmacy, grocery store, convenience store, restaurants and other service businesses. The industrial community includes EPI Advanced Plastics, Belden Foam & Fiber Inc., Best Foam, Premier Prints and Russkin Packaging.
The Community of Thaxton took its name from Dr. Montgomery C. Thaxton, a prominent early citizen. Before Dr. Thaxton arrived, the community was called Buttermilk Springs.
The name originated from a jug of buttermilk. One day a traveler stopped by the springs which wound their way a little northwest of Thaxton to get a drink of water. He saw a jug of buttermilk which had been placed in the spring to cool and drank it instead. He left some small change by the side of the spring and went on his way.
The owners of the jug of buttermilk conceived the idea of selling the milk to other travelers, especially stagecoach riders when the drivers stopped to water the horses. This refreshing beverage was well accepted by the passengers and it became a custom so that all who traveled that way spread the fame of Buttermilk Springs.
Dr. Thaxton moved to the community soon after 1880. He first lived in a long house east of the main part of town, then later built a home closer to his business. Soon after his arrival a post office was established and he became the first postmaster, a position he held for 18 years.
He also practiced medicine over a wide area, riding horse back and carrying his medical supplies in his saddle bags. Dr. Thaxton continued his varied business and medical operations until 1901 when he moved to Texas.
Many small towns have their business section built around the town square, but Toccopola business houses were built facing a rectangle.
The south end of the rectangle at Toccopola opened into a lovely wooded area known as Furr's wood lot, used for picnics, candidate speakings, and other summer time gatherings. The other three sides of the rectangle were bordered with businesses.